April 15, 2013

{Week 3}

I can not believe my baby is three weeks old!! This is boggling my mind.

It's been a week with a lot of ups and downs. He started needing a higher oxygen percentage (between 40% and 50% instead of between 20% and 30%), not liking cuddles at all, and retaining water. Another chest x-ray showed more fluid in his lungs, and his legs and feet and face started swelling up. In fact, he gained 9 oz this week, which is ridiculously abnormal. They started him on a diuretic yesterday, so hopefully that starts working and (I'll never say this again..) he loses some weight. 

We started being able to take him out for what are called 'bundled cuddles', because he didn't like kangaroo care. We think he likes being contained a lot more than.. I dunno. Not being contained. lol. 



The first time I held him like this I sobbed. I didn't realize how affected I had been by NOT being able to cradle him. Every mom has this idea of holding her baby, and although I had held him kangaroo style, cradling him made me feel like I could hold him and protect him and be his mom. Carter loved it too.

He also started wearing clothes this week! Yay! He's the cutest.



Mom came to visit for a couple days this week too -- she's the best. She made us a week's worth of freezer meals, and we LOOOOVE mama's cooking. We ate lasagna while we set up little man's crib!


How cute, right? But this isn't even his real bedding. We bought this second hand before we knew what we were having, but when we found out it was a boy, mom found this crib set online, so now we're just waiting for it to get here!! I'm SO excited to have a little baseball nursery!!

I also found this little picture online this week..


And, again, I sobbed. All I could think of was little Jack talking to Heavenly Father. I'm sure Jack knew the start of his life was going to be difficult, and I'm sure he asked a question similar to this one. And to think that God completely trusted him to me! And Jack is trusting me to care for him and keep him safe and even just to keep him company! Ah. It's so overwhelming, but so comforting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!